Tuesday 7 October 2008

Who came up with the two day weekend?

As far as I am concerned, the entire notion of a ‘working week’ is misguided – surely there’s work and there’s time to do it. Splitting everyone’s life up into time when they should be working and time when it’s alright to do all the things they actually choose to do, seems perverse and wrongheaded. Especially if, like me, you think that really the only purpose of working is to be able to afford a house to live in and things to do with yourself when you’re not at work. Plus, when I was a kid, we were told that robots and computers would be doing all the work (apparently even the creative input required for certain roles) and that we would have to come up with new ways to amuse ourselves in ‘the future’. As it stands, I think that there is a mismatch between the work week and our ‘leisure time’ allowance – if I am feeling dynamic enough to do something on a Friday night, it feels like I’ve had a bonus weekend night, but then want to stay in bed until Saturday afternoon, meaning that if we then have plans for Saturday night, the chances of actually achieving anything before Monday morning are pretty minimal. The drawing in of the evenings draws attention to the fruitlessness of attempting meaningful achievements on a weeknight (other than trying to eat everything in our freezer which is a challenge by which I have found myself surprisingly inspired), although I am not sure whether that is because the lack of heating in the house means the Boy Wonder and I are confined to the living room if we are to maintain circulation in our extremities. All in all, less work and more play would suit me fine, and I cannot for the life of me imagine who devised the current system.