Sunday 6 June 2010

I used to be stupid tribute

Having read some of the entries on IUsedToBeStupid.com I thought I should catalogue some of my own childhood misconceptions:
I used to think that a sign saying 'To Let' on the outside of a building meant that there was a toilet inside - weirdly, I knew how to spell 'toilet', but thought that the rules of spelling were more flexible than to limit the spelling to one version.
My Dad used to let me sit on his lap and drive the car, resulting in a belief which endured till I was a teenager than the steering wheel actually powered the car and was pretty much the only important factor in making it move.
Probably my most inappropriate misapprehension was that the word 'cunning' was short for 'cunnilingus' - I don't know where I had heard the word, but I figured they were close enough, so they must be related. It wasn't until I said it to my step-dad when I was about 10 that he asked where I had heard it and explained that it probably wasn't the kind of word I should use without knowing what it meant.