Friday 19 September 2008

Stupid sub-conscious

I have dreams most nights. They tend towards the stressful and frustrating, but occasionally veer off towards downright terrifying and upsetting or, rarely, into enjoyable. Whilst planning the wedding, I was surprised that I didn’t really have many dreams about it, proving that the lack of stress really was genuine as my dreams are often depressingly literal when it comes to confronting issues which are on my mind. However, since the wedding, or more particularly, since we finished clearing up the wedding on the Monday after and slept for about 18 hours straight on Tuesday, I have been having stressful wedding dreams. In last night’s dream I was trying to make mini muffins for everyone, and the chocolate chips were not dispersing throughout the cooked muffins, just forming a block of chocolate in the middle. I don’t even like muffins that much, mini or otherwise, they weren’t served at the wedding and, more importantly, the darn thing’s OVER! What is my subconscious playing at? I appreciate the fact that my nights leading up to the wedding were relatively dream neutral, but I suspect that did have something to do with extreme tiredness and even more extreme Bow consumption before bed. To have saved up all the pre-wedding stress dreams and inflict them on me now seems both churlish and irrational. If there is some kind of post traumatic stress disorder than only manifests itself after a perfectly happy event, and even then only in dream form, then I wish I didn’t have it. And if I actually have a deeper lying mental health issue, then how can I ever hold my head high in a support group or suchlike when the involvement of mini-muffins is a symptom?