Sunday 14 December 2008

Dreams reflect life...

I am in Amsterdam with friends from school, who are bickering amongst themselves about something I don't really understand or want to get into. Finally they persuade me to come along with them to a concert and when we get there, to my horror, it is a show featuring Mark Owen and Liam Gallagher (I found out I don't know what he looks like as he looked like Vernon Kay in my dream and then somebody had to tell me who he was). I leave the show immediately, but now I am in Amsterdam on my own, and I don't want to be there, I just want to be at home with the Boy Wonder. I resolve not to call him as I know I will cry and make him feel bad that there's not much he can do to help me, and fortunately I come across a Mutley-a-like selling tickets for a boat tour. I board the boat and try to enjoy myself, but all I can think about is 'Why did I agree to this - I knew I wouldn't have a good time and now I'm not.'. In some ways this genuinely reflects the situation I often find myself in - with advance notice I occasionally agree to do something without the Boy Wonder, about which I get a growing sense of dread in the few days before the event and then when I get there, far from what I tell myself, I actually don't have a good time and I want to come home. I don't really get homesick, but I miss the Boy and I can't really imagine anything that I would rather do without him. However, this is generally considered to be pretty pathetic - I have been told so by people when I explained that I didn't really want to attend the Christmas party at work, the fact that he wasn't invited being one of the major reasons. Now why people who I only spend time with because I am paid to do so would think that I would choose to spend time with them over him of an evening, I don't know, but I do resent being told that I should be able to 'manage for one night' when the fact is I choose not to. But apparently, honesty is not what's required of me in this situation - I am supposed to pretend that it costs too much (the option I have gone for in the face of scornful remarks) or that I wouldn't be able to get home, when the truth is, I would rather be snuggled up on the sofa with the man I just married than watching the people I work with getting drunk. Astonishing? Maybe, but I think the astonishing thing is that people really cannot grasp the fact that I am happier with the Boy Wonder than I am anywhere else - I wonder how sad their lives and relationships must be if they long for a night out with their friends which doesn't include their partners, but it wouldn't occur to me to insult them on those grounds. I am aware that people think it is normal to spend a great deal of time apart from their other halves, and as far as I am concerned that's their business. But being without the Boy Wonder trying to have fun against the odds is something which I not only don't enjoy, but which invades my dreams, and anyone who has a problem with it can cock right off...