Wednesday 7 January 2009

The mystery of Clamato juice

What is wrong with people? I simply cannot fathom the kind of mind that either drinks a glass of tomato juice and thinks 'Hmm, this is a tasty and strangely filling drink - what would really enhance it is something fishy' or eats a clam and thinks 'there's something a little too solid about this - and once you have realised it needs to be runnier, the natural choice of thinning agent would be something like tomato juice.' It is an unholy combination - clams and tomatoes may well go together in a bisque or soup, but a drink? Really? I mean, I'm not really a fan of tomato juice as a drink, despite an enduring love for tomatoes in almost any other form, but I can envisage how it could be enjoyed - I don't have to like something to understand what others see in it, but clamato juice is where I draw the line. One of the worst things about it (apart from the concept, the taste, the unforgivable lack of respect for both clams and tomatoes and the possibly apocalyptic nature of the horrific combination) is the 'Red Eye' which consists of a beer with a shot of clamato juice in it - I genuinely cannot imagine a less appealing beverage. I can't really drink beer much now due to being old and incapable, but when I did drink it I loved the beeriness of it. I never ever grasped a nice cold Heineken, sipped of the froth off the top, and then thought to myself 'If only this had a fishy-tomato aftertaste it would really add something to the deliciousness'. But it seems that this is just what someone has done, and quite honestly, why the first person who tried this actually bothered to tell anyone else what they'd been up to is beyond me. I can only assume that this was some kind of 'Jackass' style stunt whereby those involved were actively trying to concoct a drink which would make their friends throw up. Or possibly someone trying to poison a person allergic to shellfish by sneaking it into their tomato juice onthe grounds that you would be less likely to notice clams in tomato juice than you would in, say, a gin adn tonic. Either way, there seem to be no redeeming features of this drink - the Boy Wonder and I tried it when we were in Canada after asking a waiter what the hell it was, and three years later, the memory of it still haunts me, as does the look on the waiter's face. It reminded me of the look of smugness my brother used to get when he had oversalted his chips - he didn't like them either, but tricking me into eating them amused him greatly, and I can only assume that the phenomenon of Clamato juice is a similarly juvenile prank which has really got out of hand.