Tuesday 6 January 2009

The tragedy of disappearing food - update

My last post on this topic inspired me to embark on another of my periodical and depressing searches for two of my favourite snacks - rice paper and unflavoured/salted Pepperidge Farm Goldfish. Technically the main problem with the Goldfish is that not one of availability so much as location. I am personally aware of several shops where I could theoretically purchase as many bags of Goldfish as I want, they're just all in the US. Rice paper is quite another matter - I know that if it is available, I should be able to get it in this country. So a quick search of EBay revealed not only a distributor of Goldfish, but also some angel who has stocks of rice paper! No sooner had I lamented the lack of these items than a solution is found! Like a flash, I e-mailed the links to the Boy Wonder who had been badgering me for Christmas present ideas, and lo and behold, Christmas day came around and I was presented with a large box containing all the rice paper and goldfish I could ask for! The rice paper was interesting - instead of the normal four coloured packs (featuring orange, pink, yellow and white) these were two coloured packs including such unexplored colours as green and blue and, more importantly, printed with Euro note markings so it's like eating money. I have had monetary rice paper before, but it wasn't quite right as it always had too much flavouring and I am a big fan of the bland. I could tell these ones were different, but the proof was in the tasting, which proved that they are indeed made to the same exacting standards as the stuff I am used to. The only slight downside is the tenacious nature of the ink, which I won't explain further, but even this downside has an upside as it means that I can only eat a limited amount at a time, thus rationing my provisions and avoiding the gluttony I have exhibited in the past. The stuff doesn't even have a 'Nutritional Information' sticker telling me how bad they are for me, but what they lack in substance they certainly make up for in potato starch and colourings, so I think my insides will benefit from a more restricted intake. The Goldfish have only been broken out today - in a display of inhuman strength of will, I have managed to keep them untouched for two weeks, mostly by keeping them upstairs and keeping a range of other easily available snacks within reaching distance to avoid temptation. But today, in the absence of anything more suitable for a work snack, I brought one in and although I resisted their lure until around 10.30 once I opened the bag, there was (almost) no stopping me. They are just as delicious as I remember and I can't believe I have lived without them for so long. Things are going to have to change - either we need to have more holidays when a person can reasonably request hard to come-by snack foods as a gift, or we will have to find a house in between Pepperidge Farm and the press where they print the paper money...