Monday 26 January 2009

Seat up, seat down - do people really have nothing better to care about?

I have just been reading this post on PassiveAggressiveNotes.com and the subsequent firestorm about the seat-up debate, and I have to say, I still don't get it. In a two person house (such as the Boy Wonder and I inhabit) where one is female and one is male, the question of seat up or seat down should be academic - you leave the seat however you used it. I am aware that lid down is a much healthier proposition, but, given current circumstances and the Boy Wonder's acquiescence I feel that a diatribe about the fact that minuscule particles of poo can apparently be flung around the bathroom if you leave the lid up would get short shrift when delivered by someone who keeps a box of poo with a hedgehog in it next to the fire in the living room (see this post for details).
So if we ignore the potential for 'lid down' then we are left with seat up or seat down. I will always leave the seat down and want the seat down. The Boy wonder will sometimes leave the seat down and sometimes want the seat down. He will also sometimes leave it up, but then be the next to use the facilities (hmmmm - euphemistic) meaning I never even know whether it was up or down, but had I insisted on him leaving it down, he would have to adjust it to the down position twice for no reason. So, given that he will sometimes leave the seat in the position I would prefer it in, and I will sometimes leave the seat in the position he would prefer it in, why is it that women (and it does seem to be only women) seem to think that 'seat down' is inevitably the optimal position?
I'm strangely taken with the way I have made this sound like a maths logic problem, but really, is this what the war on sexism has got us? Women still get paid less, are assumed to be jealous of any woman they do not like and have to demonstrate 'manly' qualities to get ahead in male dominated workplaces, but we get to whine on endlessly about toilet seats as though we are in the right? I've even heard some women claim that they will 'fall in' without the seat down - what?! I have always been surprised that a couple of inches in diameter can really make that much difference to whether men can hit the right spot, but to claim that your tiny lady bottom is so delicate and dainty that you will fall in the toilet is just poppycock! How would that happen? Normally the bowl is so much colder than the seat would be that even the merest touch of bum-cheek on porcelain has me back upright, but even if you fell all the way in, and got water up your crack - you aren't going to get flushed away into the sea on a flow of poo, so what's the big deal?
I think there are plenty of people who might need to think about their comfort zones - I have some issues with toilets/public facilities generally, but I make an effort to put these aside for my own happiness when I go to festivals etc. People who willingly bring the war on loo seats into their own home/office/anywhere they go regularly should maybe consider an alternative hobby.